Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Guys, I need to buy a car and I need your help!

It's lemonade time

No Carfax needed
It's like they smell you coming. Those doggone car salesmen know a fresh one when they see one. You walk in, with no intentions of even test driving a car and leave with a car payment and a ride that will probably give you a good two hundred miles before you have to take it to the shop. Why can't those car salesmen just be honest? We know you know we women don't know much about cars but good gracious, don't go for the jugular!

I need a new car and when I say new, I mean, brand new, not used. I understand that as soon as I drive it off the lot, it's depreciated but what else am I going to do?  I live in Atlanta and we know how great the 'A' is with public transportation. And, I need dependability with great gas mileage. Am I asking for too much here?

I donated my VW Passat to Habitat for the Blind last year (yes, I know how that sounds) and since then, I've been traveling for work, so I haven't needed a car. Now, I'm home, I think and I've gotta have one. So, I need your help.

* What's a good car these days?
* How much should I look to put down?
* How much total should I be looking at realistically?
* Should  I go 'pre-owned'/ used, whatever they call it these days?
* What are you driving (if that's not too personal) and how's it working out for you?
* What features are a must have? What features are standard?
* What are some things you wish you did or didn't do when you were buying your car?
* What questions should I ask?

Just share your experiences so that I can walk in there educated and knowledgable enough to be dangerous. Thank ye kindly!







1 Love,

Black Girl

12 comments:

  1. I have a 2011 Kia Sportage. Never thought I would buy anything except a Chevy...but have decided I am NEVER going back. Yesterday was 2 years since I bought it, and have NEVER had a problem with it.

    Unlike most females, I have an idea about cars (must be a country girl thing, maybe), and did all of my research. Knew what I want, what color, I wanted, and had an idea of what I wanted to pay. Believe it or not, I got it all! Of course, I drove 3+ hours to get it (yes, that's quite a drive - especially when I have a Kia dealership 25 miles away!), but don't regret a single bit of it!

    So, to answer your questions - look around, and see what tickles your fancy. Look at what's in your price range. What can you afford to put down? Are there any "0 Down" or "Sign and Drive" specials going on?

    My best advice - it's just like anything else. When you find it, you will know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb. A woman who knows what she wants. I was thinking SUV-ish so Dex could hang out in the back. What's the gas mileage like with your vehicle? Was it brand new when you got it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 99 Honda that I just cannot get rid of!! She is still low mileage and other than man made issues(long story), there are no issues with her. My baby is a teenager (tear' ).. and she still gets over 30 mpg on the highway!

    Like Barb said, do your research... This is not a compulsive buy and you can usually find the car you want without having to pay extra fees, but it may require a drive.

    Know your finances!!!!! They will try to screw you every time. When Jason wanted his new car, he knew what he wanted down to the specs.. So I did some research on what MSRP should have been, and going off his credit score I made a chart of what is APR SHOULD have been and a whole list of other percentages. Lets just say that when he was ready to get down to talking numbers these fools tried to high ball the APR by almost 10%!! Of course they never saw me coming ;).. When I asked what apr they were offering(they came back with monthly payment only) they refused a straight answer.. So I pounced on that ass!! Pretty much put them in their places and left everyone in the room with a dumbfounded look..lol.. As I told Jason let's go, they wanted to play nice and give us what should have been offered... But I was done with them at that point!! You just lost your commission for being an ass who did not respect us!!!

    Know what you want, do not compromise, know your numbers and DO NOT TAKE SHIT from the person selling you the car!! Remember, they are almost always 100% commission. So don't waste their time, but don't let them sweet talk ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cousin has a finance blog with a lot of useful information. Check it out! Some of these post will help! http://www.moneywatch101.com/search?q=cars

    Besides that, the new SUVs I'm liking are: the Chevy Equinox, Nissan Murano, and Honda Pilot.

    Here are the US rankings as well: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Midsize-SUVs/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Des, I wish you were here. How about we make that happen? That would save me so much aggravation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish too... But my job is here. Can't pay the bills if I am not working.. But I can help you from here.. Just email me what you want down to the minute details :D

      Delete
    2. So, who's cheesing right now? This chick right here. I love you. .......ok, I'll do just that. You are so appreciated ;-)

      And, I"m working on the whole lotto thing so you don't have to work anymore ;-)

      Delete
  6. Carlos, I adore you. Thanks so much for the links :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got quite a few calls and texts with help/advice about this topic. Thanks everyone. Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taking this all in. Very thorough information gotten. Sheesh. Makes me realize how little i know about cars. I have to get 'buying a car for Dummies'. They have that, right?

    I'm getting on the websites sent and doing my research like I was told to do ;-) and I'll post a pic of what I will eventually acquire. Thanks ;-)

    ReplyDelete