Thursday, October 4, 2012

I surely have no Indian in me!

I've got an Afro thing going here and yeah, it's cool and all but not all the time. When I stopped relaxing my hair a year and a half ago, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I knew I had to stop putting those toxins in my hair. I think they affected the few working neurons I had ;-)

So, I let my hair 'grow out' for over a year. This was my second attempt at this. The first go around, I couldn't stand looking like a fake Tina Turner. This time, I said no matter what, I'm going through with it and I did. I found creative things to do with it, to give me a little edge. I didn't or rather, I wasn't ready to do the 'big chop', so, instead, I did the twist, the plait, the 'chiny bump'....anything to get me by. And, it worked. I pulled it off. My hair grew and the relaxed ends began to fall off on their own.

But, it got to be too much trouble to twist every night. I was getting ready for my first cruise and I knew I'd be in the water a lot and thus, needed to 'get it together'. I headed to the hair salon to get a cut. My lady looked at me and said, 'yep, it's time' and got her scissors ready. Clip, clip! And, I watched my hair fall. I smiled because I knew it needed to be done and I needed it would serve as a new chapter in my life....a new healthy chapter, filled with 'new growth' and 'new roots'.

So, I'm sporting what looks like a teenage 'fro' and my oh my, don't I look like the splitting image of my mom? Wowser! Not a bad thing. She's a good looking woman ;-) Now, I just need the right products to get past this 70's look it seems I have going. I thought, for some crazy reason, that my hair would do a wave instead of the curl, because, man, did it curl up! Wow! Guess, I really don't have any Indian in my family ;-)

I need something to stretch it out somewhat  and I don't want to straighten it, EVER! I don't want to put a hot comb in it at all. That's what got me here in the first place.

What I've been using but Oy vey! They're not giving me that wavy look I'm after.
So, what products are you ladies using to keep your 'NATURAL' hair nice and tangle free, moisturized and shiny? What are some tricks to making natural look effortless and how do you switch it up to go out or to just chill? How do I get bigger curls, instead of these 'way too Afro' baby curls?  Help a black girl out.



1 Love,

Black Girl




No comments:

Post a Comment